The Castle GroundsContact us about this venue
The Castle Grounds
The Castle Grounds were donated to Bridgnorth by Major Foster in 1956 for the benefit of the Town. The Castle Keep is the only remaining part of the fortress built by a Danish army in 896. The grounds form pleasure gardens surrounding a bandstand, with the town War Memorial strategically placed overlooking Pampudding Hill from which Henry 1 besieged the castle in 1102 and from where later Parliamentary forces destroyed the town in the Civil War.
The history of the former castle is well documented and interpretation panels giving a brief history of the area are displayed in the grounds which are maintained to a high standard by the Town Council.
These files may not be suitable for users of assistive technology and are in the following formats: .pdf. Request an accessible format.